Tuesday, September 7, 2010

MSI/MEG test complete

It's a very odd feeling to know that, after 7 years of "what do we do next", we have completed every test that can (currently) be done to narrow down her seizure activity and help us find answers on how to treat her. It's crazy to think that the end is so close and yet still so far away...
Today was definitely one out of a science fiction script. Joe and I just sat there and looked around in awe - until I started snapping pictures and he started making fun of me and my "blogging" attempts. But seriously! Maybe it was because I was - and still am - goofy on sleep deprivation, but I don't think you'd believe me if I didn't have pictures.
So our day started off just awesome with me misreading the map and taking us to the Neurosciences Center instead of the Imaging and Neuroscience Center. Located about 10 min from each other. Who knew? But we got there in time and Joe didn't blow up at me. We were so glad he was with us. Not sure how I would have done without him. And another big thanks goes to my patents for watching the others! You guys rock!
Poor Chey was doing the "imawake!myeyesareopen!" mumbling and foot dragging going into the office. They glued 5 leads on her head and then fitted her with a cap of electrodes. When the cap came off she looked like she'd been slapped around by an octopus.








They put those awesome glasses on her as they measured with a magic pen thing different points on her head.




All of this process and machine was built and developed in Finland. My brother served his mission there and we have some friends that moved back there. We spent time talking about reindeer, saunas and months of darkness & everlasting day time. It was fun to remember looking through all my brothers pictures and being able to kinda talk about things. Lame off track thoughts but as I warned I'm tired.
They explained to us that this "mapping" is done with the brains magnetic waves. And that these magnets are infinitesimally small and hard to "capture". So they built a special room fir this machine with a basically 0 magnetic atmosphere.



Nothing magnetic or metal can enter this room. Here is the double solid door and you can see into the room a little. They closed the door, pressed the magic red button....


.... And with a puff of air the door sealed. The nurse said that they have run tests and left the door open to see sensitivity and have registered the magnetic waves of a car door closing in the front of the building.
They told us to plan for 2.5 hours but we were there for 3.5. We believe she had a small seizure as well as some other abnormal waves.
They monitored by video feed on this



And then by eeg& Meg on this.




The results won't be ready for about a month as they take every second of every electrode data and plot it in a 3D computer program and make a 3D image of her brain during the scanned time. They said Something about the dr.s being able to look at it from every angle and more in-depth almost as if her brain is detached from her body and still working. At this point my imagination & sleep deprivation got the better of me and I'm picturing something like the star wars rotating image of the death star rotating around in the center of a room full of doctors and they are all discussing ways to destroy her brain... Well you get my drift.
We ended our trip with a break-unch at Ihop. I don't recall seeing Chey ever eat that much at one time. Luckily she still had so much paste in her hair we didn't need to make excuses for her shoveling table manners. The staff just stopped at her hair... And me almost face planting in my omelet. Then we somehow made it home to our beds and slept for me-4 hours and chey- 5. She got up for dinner and a shower and a little bit of homework that we forgot about and has crashed out again. I'm on my way.
And here's praying for decisive outcome that will help her...


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Was Chey in that little chamber alone for 3.5 hours!? She is so brave! What was she able to do while she was in there? I hope that this test is the missing key...and the doctors will know how to help her now! Still in my prayers! Emily Thomas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Em- thanks for checking in in us and for your comments and prayers. No chey wasn't in the chamber for 3.5 hous. She was in there almost anchor and a half. It took them a while to prep her and for her to get cleaned up. They had us sleep deprive her and then they gave her a light sidation so she just slept. She is terribly brave though. With all she faced this summer and really daily, and yet she stays positive and happy. And still willing to try just about anything. I think I'd have given up after the frequent blood draws if I was her! ;•D she's pretty awesome.

    ReplyDelete